Ooey-gooey melty mozzarella cheese smack in the middle of a waffle topped with fresh tomatoes, basil, arugula, and lemon. This recipe is a twist on a classic Italian favorite and the trifecta of ingredients: tomato, mozzarella, and basil.
You could stuff the waffles with the tomatoes and basil to make a full on the go Caprese, but I find that keeping the tomatoes and herbs fresh and added at the very end cut through the richness of the waffle and helps balance the dish out. You can substitute with any other cheese and mix and match with other salad greens.
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cup whole milk
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
6 oz mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 tomatoes-on-the-vine
- 1 ½ cups arugula
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh basil
- 1 lemon
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Whisk in milk and melted butter. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Mix.
- Mix in wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and combine until the batter is smooth and there are no lumps.
- Preheat the Wonderffle iron and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Add about ½ cup of the batter once it is warm. Add 2 oz of fresh mozzarella cheese, then cover with about ½ cup more batter and close the cover.
- Cook over medium low heat for about 5 minutes and then flip, cooking for another 3-4 minutes. Make sure both sides are a little soft but hold their shape. Remove from the heat on to a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter - this recipe will yield 3 waffles.
- While the waffles are cooking, make the topping. Slice tomatoes, set aside. Thinly slice fresh basil and combine in a bowl with arugula. Add olive oil, lemon juice and salt. Toss to combine
- Top the waffle with sliced tomato and the dressed arugula and basil. Enjoy warm!